Features

SOWC and Laurier’s partnership propels environmental research

Wilfrid Laurier University’s (Laurier) leading expertise in ecotoxicology and water issues in cold regions combined with SOWC’s cutting-edge equipment is spurring research projects that are vital to the protection of our environment. Laurier is home to some of the top researchers studying the impact of contaminants on aquatic life. The university is also the only [...]

2015-09-03T19:16:56+00:00 September 3rd, 2015|Features|0 Comments

Advancing technology focus of SOWC and OCWA Partnership

A new partnership between the Southern Ontario Water Consortium (SOWC) and the Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) will help boost Ontario's role as a global leader in the advancement of water technology. The two organizations recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) agreeing to work together to support the research, development and demonstration of water [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:31+00:00 July 22nd, 2015|Features|0 Comments

SOWC taps into University of Guelph’s vast expertise in water

This is the first in a series of profiles of the post-secondary institutions that are members of the Southern Ontario Water Consortium. From engineers to biologists to social scientists, the University of Guelph (U of G) brings a whole spectrum of expertise in water research to its partnership with the Southern Ontario Water Consortium (SOWC). [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:31+00:00 July 21st, 2015|Features|0 Comments

Raising the Bar

State-of-the-art wastewater facilities help set a new standard for research and innovation. Water Canada: July 6, 2015 By Evelyn Allen & Deirdre Healey One of the most significant barriers to the advancement of wastewater technologies has been accessing municipal wastewater treatment plants in order to test innovations in real-life scenarios. “Ten years ago, there wasn’t [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:31+00:00 July 13th, 2015|Features|0 Comments

SOWC’s Equipment Plays Integral Role in Drinking Water Treatment Research

The Southern Ontario Water Consortium’s (SOWC) cutting-edge equipment is enabling a group of top water experts at the University of Waterloo to conduct innovative research aimed at improving how we clean our drinking water. Professor Peter Huck, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Industrial Research Chair holder in water treatment, and [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:31+00:00 June 22nd, 2015|Features|0 Comments

External Funding Opportunities – June 2015

2015 Large Scale Applied Research Project Competition (LSARP) Ontario Genomics Institute Draft Registrations Deadline: July 13, 2015 Value: $2 million-$10 million for four years (Genome Canada’s investment not to exceed 33% of the total investment in the project by all parties; remaining 67% of project costs must be secured through co-funding) Genome Canada is [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:32+00:00 June 22nd, 2015|Features|0 Comments

SOWC Welcomes Fleming College as New Post-secondary Partner in Consortium

Following unanimous approval by its Advisory Board, the Southern Ontario Water Consortium is proud to announce the addition of Fleming College as a new post-secondary partner. It is the first post-secondary institution to be introduced as a new member since SOWC's establishment in 2011, increasing the Consortium's membership to nine partners. "Now that we've completed [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:32+00:00 March 27th, 2015|Features|0 Comments

UW Researcher Finds Way to Remediate Contaminants in a More Natural Way

A University of Waterloo researcher is the first to develop a new way to remediate contaminated groundwater by capitalizing on the power of mother nature. With the help of a specially-designed field testing site built in part by the Southern Ontario Water Consortium (SOWC), Mahsa Shayan was able to test the effectiveness of combining a [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:32+00:00 March 27th, 2015|Features|0 Comments

External Funding Opportunities – March 2015

MITACS Elevate (Postdoctoral Fellows) MITACS Intent to Apply Deadline: April 23, 2015 Duration: 2 Years Value: $50,000 (stipend) + $7,500 (research costs) Industry matching contribution is required This is a training program for postdoctoral fellows, in which participants lead and undertake an industrially relevant research project. During this time, fellows receive experiential training in R&D [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:32+00:00 March 27th, 2015|Features|0 Comments

GRCA-provided Testing Site Gives Primodal’s Monitoring Device Real-world Experience

Primodal Inc.'s water quality monitoring device is now robust enough to take on the harsh conditions of the real world thanks to nearly two years of testing at one of the Grand River Conservation Authority's (GRCA) monitoring stations. In May 2013, the Hamilton-based company became the first Southern Ontario Water Consortium (SOWC) user to access [...]

2017-03-21T18:48:32+00:00 February 27th, 2015|Features|0 Comments
Load More Posts